Image Map

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fall Fruit Salad

I love fall. I love finally getting to put on a sweater, drink hot tea, and slurp ramen without the aid of air conditioning. Hailing from Southern California, our seasons aren't as distinct as other places. Especially these days, the seasonal drinks from Starbucks seem to guide people through the year more than anything; coconut frappuccino in the summer, pumpkin spice latte for fall, and peppermint mocha in the winter.

I never grew up with explosions of sunset-colored leaves falling from the trees, stepping out in a pea-coat with a hot cocoa and my breath showing in the crisp frosty air. I've never experienced a snow day; I don't own a scarf.

I wear flip-flops year round.

Okay, so maybe fall weather is a little boring here.

Thankfully, our fall fruit is far from boring. Persimmons from my great uncle, pomegranates from my grandmother, fall is hailed here in my family by the arrival of some of our favorite fruits.

I really enjoy this fruit salad because it has a lot of different textures, from the crunch of the Asian pear, the pop of the pomegranate arils, and the persimmon with a softer bite. With a bit of lemon and mint to keep everything bright, it's a very refreshing fruit salad perfect for fall.

Note: there are two basic types of persimmon, or kaki (柿): the squat Fuyu that can be eaten crisp like an apple or the heart-shaped Hachiya type that is ripened until jelly-like inside. The Hachiya cannot be eaten hard because it is very astringent unless fully ripe. This recipe uses the crisp variety. 

Fall Fruit Salad with Persimmons, Pears, and Pomegranates
Inspired by this recipe 

3 fuyu persimmons, cut into small dice/pieces  (1/2"-1/4")
1 large Asian Pear, peeled and cut into small dice/pieces (1/2"-1/4")
1 pomegranate's worth of arils (approximately a 1/2 cup or so)
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp honey
10 mint leaves

First, chiffonade the mint leaves by stacking them on top of each other. Roll tightly and then cut the roll perpendicular to the way you rolled the leaves in thin strips. Whisk the lemon and honey together. If you feel that it isn't combining very well (or your honey is grainy), pop the mix in the microwave for 10 seconds or just until the honey dissolves.

Toss the fruit, mint, and lemon/honey mixture together and serve. This can be made several days in advance if needed.

See Also:
Fuyu Kaki Bundt
Kaki Kohaku Namasu
Deconstructed Ichigo Daifuku

6 comments:

  1. You've inspired me to give persimmons another go! I've never been a big fan of but that might just be a childhood preference that I haven't challenged since I've been all growed up. Thinking I'll try this salad as a salsa...maybe w/ griilled chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually making a persimmon salsa for this blog, with onions and jalapenos (or roasted hatch chiles... haven't decided)! I've heard of a lot of people that have had an unripe persimmon and never try them again.

      Delete
  2. Yum, all my favorite fruits. You can't miss with lemon and honey either. The mint is a nice touch too. Will definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes your are wright and thanks for post a good topic . your post is

    top most in related post of Fall Fruit Salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have Persimmons in my country. Can I substitute this fruit with any of my choice? How about mango?

    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, feel free to play around with any fruit. Mango, or even apple would be good choices!

      Delete