Image Map

Friday, December 2, 2016

Kamaboko Dip

It's officially the holidays! Parties, potlucks, girlfriend get-togethers: I've got all that and more planned for the coming weeks, so you'll see a bit of a shift in the recipes I feature here.

There's a distinct lack of baking projects, recipes for parties, or appetizers for a crowd. I like small dishes, and this blog started as a way to feature what I cook on weeknights for myself and Mr. Mochi, and I don't deviate too often unless it is to make sure I write down one of my mother's recipe.


But with the holidays upon us, please look forward to some party dishes! First up: Kamaboko Dip!

I've made several dishes on this blog that feature kamaboko, but all of them have been pretty traditional Japanese recipes. So I wanted to showcase how we utilize it differently it as hapas and Japanese Americans here in the states. Of course I am sure you can think of plenty examples of where imitation crab (kanikama) is substituted for real crab. But here's an entirely new presentation for kamaboko.

This dip was a hit for my birthday party, and even family friends who are not adventurous eaters really enjoyed it. If you're not normally a seafood fan, you might still like this dish. The green onions cut the richness of the cream cheese, and the kamaboko lends a sweetness rather than a strong fishy flavor. Since kamaboko is so mild, it really helps lighten up the dish rather than making it overwhelming.

Some recipes have you mix the green onions into the mix, but I like to be able to make this in advance and the onions will turn the dip slightly watery and lose their crunch if you mix them in advance.

My solution is to take them along separately and garnish on top right before serving. I love green onions, but if you have picky eaters, serving them on top also gives them the option to try it without it!


Kamaboko Dip

1 package of pink and white kamaboko (usually around 6 ounces)
1 package of cream cheese (8 ounces)
3 green onions
1/4 cup mayonnaise
Your choice of crackers

Let the cream cheese soften a bit outside the fridge while you dice the kamaboko into 1/4" pieces. Mix the cream cheese, mayo, and kamaboko together until completely combined. Chop the green onions, and garnish using only the green portion. Serve with plenty of crackers!

If you would like to shape it into a ball, I find using a piece of plastic wrap works handy to shape it. However, I also really like serving it straight out of the storage container as shown above because I can put even more green onions on top and it's easier to dig in! I guess it depends on how casual the get-together is!

You can make this dip in advance, just make sure to store in an airtight container in the fridge and keep the onions separate!

See Also:
Julia's Korroke
Hurricane Popcorn
Nori Furikake Chex Mix

2 comments:

  1. While I love kamaboko it is harder to find, do you think using surimi/fake crab would be a fair substitute or would the texture be weird for the dip?
    I look forward to more party food recipes, 'tis the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will have a slightly different texture, but I have definitely enjoyed this with faux crab as well!

      Delete